The charts below show UK energy consumption segmented by Sector and also Fuel Type. Have we made significant progress away from dirty fuel sources and towards cleaner solutions? And which sectors have made the most progress? Have a play with the filters:
Stark trends pop out immediately, such as:
- Industry consumption has more than halved…
- …but Transport consumption has nearly doubled.
- No growth of Electricity usage in Transport sector.
- Decline in Petroleum usage in non-transport sectors.
- Also a decline in Solid Fuel usage in all sectors.
- Increase in Gas consumption up to 2005, but now declining.
- Shift away from Petroleum towards Gas in Services sector.
- Bioenergy still only represents a tiny percentage of total.
- Overall Transport consumption more than doubled since 1970.
Can you spot any more?
This viz was created using Tableau 10 , using data from Department for
Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy